Monday, May 10, 2010

An Eventful Sunday!

9th May, 2010 was an eventful Sunday.


It was the 26th anniversary of my parents' wedding. We planned on leaving Coimbatore for Athirapally at Kerala, where the so-called "Niagara Falls of India", Athirapally Falls, are situated. My dad had received an Email forward claiming them to be so:


Unfortunately, May isn't September, and it was the latter when this picture was taken.


Are you getting the hint?


We had planned on leaving early, so that we may have more time, but since I had a 9 am math test, we were off quite late, at about 11 pm.


On the way, we stopped at a "Nungi" stall, where we had some of those watery fruit-like thing(y) s , I had my first taste of toddy, and  sparked off what was going to be an (relatively) Eventful Sunday.


I keep telling this, but I AM an over-dramatic and cheesy person. Sometimes, at least.


I wanted to act all heroic and stuff and so I starting gulping the toddy down. It was sweet and kinda nice, but just for five seconds.


The thirty seconds after my gulp were, to say at least, pure agony.
The toddy had THE most bitter after-taste I had ever felt in my mouth, and my chest felt really heavy after that half-minute. An eventful Sunday it was.  


After a few minutes of laughter at my (failed) heroic-ness, we continued our journey to athirapally.




It was nearly three when we reached Athirapally and by then, it had started to pour hard.
We had also recieved news, that His Holiness Acharya Shri Mahapragyaji, the equivalent of a pope for our sect of Jainism, had attained Nirvana. An eventful Sunday it was.  


We waited for a half-hour before the rain had reduced and after that we went for a view of the falls.


It was a perilously stony and long and steep walk of about 800 mts. to a spot near the base of the falls.


The falls were, to say the least, pretty ordinary:



 

They were not worth the 800 metre walk and the daunting prospect of climbing back up was looming upon us.


The rain had stopped, and it had become humid. Really Humid. Why? Because it was an eventful Sunday!


My T-shirt was drenched:




Phew!


 

15 minutes of pants, chokes, and sweaty pleas for water later, we were up again, drenched from head to toe with sweat.


 

Outside, we were greeted with the screams and shouts of perverted College Drop-outs, looking for a "good time".


 

We then went back to our cars, only to realize that there was no fuel in one of them, and the nearest petrol-bunk was 80 kilometres away. Why did this happen? Because it was an eventful Sunday!


 

We thought of siphoning fuel from one car to another, but there were no pipes around. We went to a shop asking for a pipe to transfer fuel from, and the shopkeeper's innocent "I Don't have a pipe, but I do have fuel. Do you want some?" was greeted rather warmly. How did this miraculous feat happen? Because it was an eventful Sunday!


 

10 litres of Rs.65 per litre fuel later, we were off to Coimbatore. It was nearly nine-thirty when we reached the restaurant we had planned to dine at. After some "Rabbit Food", "Squirrel Food" and "Smooshies", as the restaurant classified its food into, we went back home, tired and sleepy.


 

All in all, this day would be etched in forever in my brain. Why? Because it was an eventful Sunday!



0 Reactions:

Post a Comment