Thursday, December 12, 2013

"Choosing between what is right, and what is easy"

While I agree that India has taken a step backwards when it comes to the issue of homosexuality, I don't think it is right of us to consider detaching ourselves from our homeland just because of a pertinent problem that needs to be solved. Its irksome to know that our collective mentality is not to actually take action against the rampant plague of ignorance in our nation but to raise our hands and say "nothing can be done". Every struggle against inequality throughout the world was overcome only by the proactive protest of people who knew better and had the necessary knowledge to save those who drown in the pool of their own ignorance. Let's not take the easy route of giving up hope in our progress as a nation. It takes small steps to reach the ideal dream of equality; Let's raise our feet to take the first.

What would have happened if the few white South Africans during the dark period of Apartheid who chose to support the black population had raised their hands and said "this can't be done"? What would have happened if the Britishers who helped India during independence had chosen to say "this is hopeless?" Things might have not been the same.

You may point a finger at me and ask me what I am doing to be proactive; you have every right to. I am presently thousands of kilometers away from India and the only exposure I have to the situation back home is through online media. 

However, it pains me to know that I still am not entirely vaccinated from the disease of ignorance about homosexuality. I think I can start to make a change by just gaining more knowledge and banishing some the myths regarding this issue. 

SUPPORT LOVE. 

0 Reactions:

Post a Comment